Five Parsecs From Home: Better Living in a Distant Retro Future


Production still from pilot episode, "Revelation at Zarathustra"

A few months back I became interested in Five Parsecs From Home.  The setting is generic space opera built around the adventures of a crew that you generate to explore the galaxy.  I thought it would be really cool to build a crew and a story setting based on classic sci fi shows, particularly TOS Trek.  That's when I realized I didn't have a great selection of retro sci figures, or much in the way of sci fi terrain for the tabletop at all.  I decided to build a series of structures that could stand in as a listening post, a science station, or with enough of them a small colony.


Building blocks.

As it turns out retro sci fi terrain isn't nearly as intimidating as anything post Star Wars.  Often the props departments in classic shows used found objects as a basis for their designs and they tended toward simpler, more streamlined forms without shit tons of greebles.  I headed to the Dollar Store and had a look in the kitchen and hardware aisles.  It didn't take long before I grabbed some plant pots, a paint caddy, and a couple 3 packs of food containers.  The containers particulary caught my eye because they could be locked to one another and had a modular quality that would be perfect for space explorations and prefabricated buildings.  Once I got my new treasures home I added some glass cabochons, a takeout container and drain inserts to the pile.



This prototype design was a nope.

The build was fairly intuitive.  This looks pretty cool, this not so much.  The containers made plausible living areas.  I glued the drain strainers to the tops of the structures.  I thought they would serve as a chimney or heat sink for a reactor, or some other energy source deper in the structure.  I etched doors in the sides of the structures.  I liked it better than the, "Not cool" result I pictured already.


The structures begin to take shape.

Once things were assembled and primed I did a three tone grey blue treatment of the structures to give the surface more character.  I wanted things relatively clean,but I didn't mind a little roughness to reflect outposts or structures on a frontier.  To give them a little more visual oomph and a Trek homage I added a bit of red on the doors and the heat sink.  Some decals and some final weathering proceeded them being sealed and ready for the tabletop.


Grey tone structures start to look as they should.

Meanwhile in the 25th century Gilmore Modular Habitations are expanding the brave frontiers of the United Earth Coalition.  In transit modular sections can be combined to suit mission parameters.  The structures are capable of being deployed from a mothership and landing planetside.  Once descended to the landing site the lower part of the structure partially embeds itself into the earth and it is ready for occupation.  A standard GMH has sufficient energy reserves to provide self contained life support and power for as much as 5 years as required.  In the event of an emergency a module can self-extract and return to orbit, but this will severely compromise power reserves.  It should only be attempted if contact has been established with a recovery vessel in close proximity. 


Ready for the 25th century!

 


    

6 comments:

  1. Wow! They look absolutely outstanding Gene, and definitely capture that retro sci-fi feel. I'd have thought they were specifically made, not kitbashed. Splendid stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blax! This has been a very slow burn project and I'd been amassing junk to bring it together for a while. The matterials are cheap as far as anything prefaced by "wargaming" goes, and the build is pretty easy. I wanted to show the "raw materials" because most people should be able to achieve very similar results as long as they don't starte telling themselves, "I couldn't do that".

      Delete
    2. I was curious as to how much actual hobby-time the entire build took..? Btw, are those a couple of Bob Murch space zombies I can see in the background of the first picture..?

      Delete
    3. Radon Zombies they are :D ! I already had the other half of them painted and have the remaining figures on the bench. I'm going to guess 10 hours all told. The process was on/again off again so it's hard to log the hours. Having built and painted them beginning to end I'm certain I could cut the time down because I know exactly what I need to do.

      Delete
  2. Outstanding job mate. They turned out brilliantly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon! I'd like to add some more terrain to this set. They were fun to make and now that I have a pretty fast painting solution I think it would be easy to bulk it out a bit. Could use some space hills and plants too.

      Delete